Sunday, February 19, 2012

Celebrating Grandma

Last week we drove to Kansas to celebrate my Grandmother's 81st birthday. Driving across Wyoming in the middle of February, crazy right? I'll have to admit, I was nervous about getting there, especially when Amelia threw up in a gas station an hour and a half into the trip (thank goodness it wasn't in the car). But after it was all said and done every minute of the drive was worth it to be able to spend this unforgettable time with my family!





Avey, Dallas and the girls! I painted on their face with an eyeliner from my make-up bag, Avey was a princess, Amelia a kitty, Emry a dog and Dallas, I'm sure as you could probably already tell from my amazing art work, is a transformer.




Here's a very blurry picture of Katie and I. It was so great to see her!











Fisher was so excited to see my mom when she got home from work.











Girls Night




Michael and my dad were so sweet the whole trip. I am so lucky to have them!


They watched the kids while my mom sister and I went out to dinner. We went to my FAVORITE Mexican place in the whole world, Anchor Inn. True comfort food. We all ordered the same thing, Pork Tostada, yum yum!!

The next day we loaded the car up again and headed out for our 4 hour trip to "Grandma's House".



We didn't tell my grandma that we were coming to Kansas so she was truly surprised when we walked in her living room (one of the moments I will remember forever!). I felt right at home with her. She is so funny and spunky, we sat on the couch together laughing at her silly cats and Fisher's funny faces.








I used to sit in this window sill for hours playing and watching the field across from Grandma's dirt road.







The morning of Grandma's Birthday she woke up and told my mom that she thought the day before had been her birthday. Poor Grandma thought we had all forgotten her birthday!





For the birthday party my mom put together the cutest trivia game about my grandma for the whole family to play. We bought prizes for the game at the dollar store and also this pink tiara my grandma was so sweet to wear for us.







I learned that my grandmothers first kiss was to a boy named Gerald,



she didn't get a drivers license until she was 28 years old,



her first movie she ever saw was a "Pluto" cartoon,



and she once dyed her hair (for grandpa)and turned out looking like a skunk!






We got a lot of surprise visitors to the party including Aunt Ginny, DeeDee and Dan, what a treat it was to see them!

One of Grandma's doctors even came to wish her a happy birthday, here she is holding a very tuckered out Fisher.



Amelia gave Grandma a toy pig for her present. Grandma was so cute accepting it with great enthusiasm.











Here I am giving Grandma my family photo book I made for her. It was wonderful looking through it with her.




















Me and my cousins, yes all girls. I love these gals! We were laughing so hard because we were sure we would break grandma's chair.










Three of my favorite people!









Two amazing people, like mother like daughter!










Grandma and my three little munchkins. They loved all the time they were able to spend with her.












Our attempt at a 4 generations picture












One sweet moment!








I think this is the longest post that I have ever published. It's just it was a special week and I wanted to be able to look back on it and remember everything.


I love you Grandma!! It was just wonderful seeing you. I loved looking through pictures with you and hearing your stories, you have so many. I especially loved hearing your laughter. I am one of the luckiest girls in the world to have you.

Love You






















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip you had, family moments are the best.

Mandy said...

I'm so glad you guys got to go Kansas! I love the pictures. It looks like you guys had a fun trip.

eve said...

love the pictures. your grandma is adorable. hope she's doing okay! miss you.

Shay said...

What great memories. Reading it gave me chills and makes me think about my sweet grandma's. Love you.