Thursday, February 3, 2011

Feeling Inspired




Eve gave me this book "The Creative Family" to borrow and I have been totally inspired by it!! It is written by Amanda Blake Soule, she has a blog at http://www.soulemama.com/. I'm sure I am probably one of the last people to hear about her. I have to admit I have only checked her blog out once (as I have mentioned before I am a horrible blogger) but what I saw I loved.

Her book has so many simple ideas for family activities, like charades, family drawing time, making up stories together, just simple little things but they can create the best family memories.


I love in her book she said about children's toys "less is really more". Sometimes it seems that the girls have so many toys strung out that they don't know what to do with them all. This week I took 3 big trash bags of toys to D.I. and it felt great. I also stored a lot of their toys that they don't use very often in our crawl space. Now there is more room for them to play, and there is order to the toys we have.

Here are some things that I am dying to try from the book:

-Transfer some of my girls drawings onto cloth, embroider them and make them into pillows

-Make children's pants out of an old T-shirts

-Have regular family drawing time

-create a stage somehow in our backyard for summer time "performances". (something real simple, probably with just a couple of poles, string, and sheets)









Here are some "Valentines Crowns" that eve made for the girls out of a pattern that was in the book. How darling are these! I want to make some birthday ones for the girls that they can wear every year!






I made these bean bags a couple of days ago. The girls and I love to try to knock over toilet paper rolls and toss them in the laundry basket.

I'm not trying to sound like I am telling you I am the perfect mom. I am Far from it (the girls are actually watching a movie and raiding the snack cabinet as I type). But I enjoy being inspired by other peoples ideas to become a little better myself.

3 comments:

eve said...

love the beanbags, erin! such cute fabric. congrats on the load of toys cleared out, i need to do that, too.
i am glad you're enjoying the book. i had fun making the crowns for you, and can't wait to see more of the projects. sorry the pants were a fail. i think i'll make them for leo this summer. hopefully you can learn from my mistake!
you are an awesome mom, i want to be more like you. love the pictures.

Mandy said...

love it! You've inspired me. I want to be more like you.

Unknown said...

I'm going to write down the title of this book, will hopefully come in handy later down the road!

Oh Erin, I think you are one of the best mom's I know how there! You and Mike are great parents and when I say Jon thinks the world of you all, it's no exaggeration. We love you guys!

Look forward to seeing more projects from the book. :)

Sara M.