Monday, February 7, 2011

lucky me




My Grandma celebrated her 80th birthday this weekend. It is times like this that make it hard to live so far away from my family. I longed to be there with her!

My childhood memories are filled with trips to my Grandma and Grandpa's house. Those visits were the highlights of my summers. I can still taste the cherries I could not stop picking from their tree, or the chocolate rice I would beg them to make me for EVERY breakfast.

Oh, the patience my grandparents showed me. They were never quick to anger when I did things like drive their tractor straight into a tree or my cousin and I decided all of their cats needed a bath.

My Grandmother sat through all of our "performances" we had prepared for her and she didn't bat a lash when we had the terrific idea to have a lemonade stand at her house (in the middle of the country).

Thank you Grandma for all of my cherished memories you have created. Thank-you for the pillowcase pajamas you made me, whenever I see fireflies my mind turns to the evenings we would wear those pillowcases and run around your yard. Thank you for the long country drives with breath taking Kansas sunsets we have shared. You are the best and I am lucky to have you!! Love you!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh what an adorable picture and Happy Birthday to your grandma! I remember her for sure and she was so nice. :) Now this chocolate rice you speak of....I need details!

Coil Fam said...

Yes, Kansas sunsets are the best! Sweet post about your grandma. I know she loves you and loved watching you grow up.

Kelli said...

Love thid post! I will take my laptop to grandma's this week so she can see it! Miss you guys!